The keto diet is known as one of the most effective diets in the world. It’s a high-fat low-carb diet which puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When in that condition, your body starts using fat instead of carbs as an energy source. Moreover, it turns the fat into ketones in the lives, in that way supplying energy to the brain.
Due to the way it transforms the way your body works, the keto diet is one of the healthiest diets in the world. However, there are several important things you should know before you start practicing it. So, let’s have a look at them.
1. There Are Foods You Can And Can’t Eat
Although the keto diet doesn’t restrict the food as much as other diets, there are still some limitations in terms of which products you can and can’t eat. These limitations refer only to the products that are high in carbs, which doesn’t comply with the keto diet.
Therefore, you can eat meat, eggs, dairy products, fatty fish, butter and cream, nuts and seeds. You can also eat avocadoes, low-carb veggies, berries (in small amounts), lemons and limes, healthy oils, and condiments. Plus, you can eat keto-friendly snacks and desserts, such as a keto shake.
On the other hand, you can’t eat beans and legumes, sugary foods and drinks, sugar-free diet foods, low-fat or diet products, grains or starches, unhealthy fats, some condiments and sauces, and alcohol. Also, you can’t eat all fruits (except berries, lemons, and limes) and root vegetables due to being high in carbs. But, you can still enjoy most of the foods you ate until now.
2. There Are Different Types Of Keto Diets
When speaking of the keto diet, we usually refer to it as one thing. It’s because many of us don’t know that there are several versions of it. Those are:
- Standard keto diet – This is a high-fat, very low-carb, and moderate-protein diet with a ratio of 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs.
- High-protein keto diet – This type is similar to the standard version. The only difference is that it includes more protein and less fat. Hence, it contains 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.
- Cyclical keto diet – This type combines several days of standard keto diet followed by a couple of days of higher carb intake. For example, 5 standard keto days, then 2 high-carb days.
- Targeted keto diet – The last type of keto diet allows you to add carbs when working out.
1. You Will Most Probably Experience The Keto Flu
The keto flu is similar to the traditional flue. It usually hits at the beginning of the dieting. This happens out of two reasons. The first reason is ketosis. Namely, when your body switches its energy source from carbs to fat, your brain may not have enough energy. That leads to headaches, nausea, and grogginess. The second reason is dehydration and low level of electrolytes. This is because the keto diet causes you to urinate more.
2. There Is A Keto Breath
Yes, the keto breath is real. It is explained as a bad breath, which is a result of the ketones your liver produces and the excess protein intake. It’s usually present at the beginning of the keto diet.
3. The Keto Diet Can Treat Some Medical Conditions
The keto diet not only is beneficial to our health, but it also can help treat some medical conditions, such as diabetes and cancer. It was also found that it can reduce the seizures of patients with epilepsy. And, it can treat obesity which became a big health problem.
The keto diet is pretty straightforward and simple to follow. Due to having different versions, it can be customized according to your needs. Hence, if you need to lower or increase the number of carbs, you can, as long as you stick to the ratios of each type. And, the best thing about the keto diet is that you won’t spend more than usually do. It’s because, although you will buy more groceries than you do now, you will need less food to feel full.